Task Force 5: Policy and Societal
Task Force 5 aim is to structure the debate and members’ opinions on a number of relevant issues in the domain of Policy & Societal implications related to Big Data–driven innovations. The task force will achieve its objectives by:
- Identify relevant topics of interest:
- Monitoring activities in the Big Data R&I ecosystem, more specifically CSA projects that address topics relating to the Taskforces goals
- Monitoring developments in legal implementation and public debate in the Member States
- Select and briefly describe topics to be addressed
- Structure the debate and members’ opinions:
- Create overviews and analyses for the chosen topic
- Survey and interview BDVA / DAIRO members on the identified topics
- Providing input to the BDVA /DAIRO SRIA and other dissemination activities (such as Summits)
- Dissemination of insights and results (whitepapers, presentations)
- Support other BDVA / DAIRO activities
- Review and contribute to position papers of other taskforces
The TF’s scope is broad; choices have to be made in order to get real results. Therefore, the strategy is to select one topic at a time, and to elaborate that single topic, resulting in a BDVA / DAIRO position paper, whitepaper, response to a consultation, track on a conference, or other results.
This Task Force contributes to BDVA / DAIRO to address not only technological developments in Big Data, but also identify a number of topics that are policy-related, legal, or societal and linked to such technological developments. Hence, while data-driven innovations hold great promises for the advancement of society, a growing debate on non-technological aspects of these innovations can be observed. This debate drives policy-making, legislation, and public opinion. The key to responsible research and innovation is a dialogue between researchers, technology developers, policy makers, and end users.
TF5.Policy & Societal follows closely the European Commission policy-making, with a particular focus on the data-driven innovation aspects of the Path to the Digital Decate Strategy (2020 - 2030).
BDVA response to the White paper on Artificial Intelligence: "a European approach to Excellence and Trust" (2020)
BDVA response inception impact assessment Data Sharing (2020)
BDVA response to the European Data Strategy (2020)
- DVA/DAIRO Response to the public consultation on Data sharing in the EU – common European data spaces (new rules) (2021)
- BDVA response to the public consultation on ethical and legal requirements for AI (2021)